Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: transfer to what?

  1. #1
    rollemfilm
    Guest rollemfilm's Avatar

    Post

    i would find out what gear you will be editing on first. from all that i've read, digital beta is by far the top format. i use beta-sp. you really need to talk to your edit people and get an idea of what you'll have to use. as far as sound, buy a blooper.

    ------------------

  2. #2
    Matt Pacini
    Guest Matt Pacini's Avatar

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by c_77:
    Damn good question Tayman Strahorn. If anybody is up to answering you they can answer me and kill two birds with one stone. Any other places besides super8sound? What about equipment (hardware) to do digital transfers yourself?-Chris

    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Matt Pacini responds:
    Lots of other places do Super 8 telecine.
    I used Sunset Post in Glendale for Lost Tribes, and they were great.
    Yale also does telecine.
    Most of the big post houses in L.A. do it, the only difference, is you will have to rent the Super 8 gate, but it's well worth it to not have to deal with the rudeness of Super 8 Sound.
    Best tape format to transfer to , all other things being equal (and they never are), is Digital Betacam.
    However, you got a digibeta deck at home you can digitize from?
    Didn't think so...
    You'll have to rent one, or do what I did:
    Get a BetaSP dupe of the DigiBeta tape.

    As far as doing your own transfers, look at the other posts over the last month regarding Workprinter.
    Roger Evans (Moviestuff on this forum), builds them, and they are plenty cool.
    Less than the cost of one telecine session.
    He's building mine now.
    I can't wait.
    Go to his website and check it out: http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/products.html

    Matt Pacini

    ------------------

  3. #3
    Alex
    Guest Alex's Avatar

    Post

    In terms of what format to transfer to...lets start with what formats to avoid.

    Avoid 3/4, VHS and Super-VHS.

    Digibeta will make you broke.

    But if you can afford a digibeta transfer, as Matt suggested, than component transfer to a more affordable format such as BetaCam SP or DV-CAM, or even mini-dv if you are going to edit Non-Linear, you get the best of all worlds.

    Also, make sure to make a VHS time-code window copy off of your original video mastering format for purposes of pre-editing your footage BEFORE you walk into any editing environment, whether the edit room is free or not.

    And any video clones/copies from the original transfer master that are to be used for editing should have matching time-code to your original video transfer master.

    ------------------
    Alex

  4. #4
    becomedeath
    Guest becomedeath's Avatar

    Post

    Good afternoon,

    I am planning a short documentary to be shot on super 8. I will shoot on color negative stock from super8sound. They offer many formats to transfer your film to. "...We can transfer Super 8 to Digital Beta, Beta SP, Beta SP Pal, Mini DV, Mini DV PAL, 3/4" SP, 3/4" SVHS and VHS..." I suppose that I am not very familiar with all these formats and that is why I ask you. Which do you think is best? I have a university very close by to me so I'm sure that I could use any of their editing equipment. The film will be about 30 minutes and I will be recording sound on a sony tcd-d8 dat recorder, if that helps.
    any information that you can provide me with will be greatly appreciated.
    Tayman Strahorn.

    ------------------

  5. #5
    c_77
    Guest c_77's Avatar

    Question

    Damn good question Tayman Strahorn. If anybody is up to answering you they can answer me and kill two birds with one stone. Any other places besides super8sound? What about equipment (hardware) to do digital transfers yourself?-Chris

    ------------------

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •